Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday 15 February 2018

Island Batik Unboxing

It's finally here - the big box of goodies from Island Batik! 
 As one of their 2018 Ambassadors, I have been given the products featured in this post free of charge by Island Batik for use in my work. Since the company is based is California, it took a bit longer for my box to arrive than my U.S. counterparts.  I have been drooling over their pictures since last week when their boxes began to arrive.  I now get first-hand what all the excitement is about, as it's pretty amazing to open such a treasure chest. I got the email around 5:30 this morning that the box was out for delivery, so Polly and I were camped at the front door, waiting.  It was very icy this morning and I held my breath in case that delivery man fell on his way in, but he made it safely!

  The box had gone through a Canada Customs check in Montreal ...but I have no doubt at all that Polly gave it a much more stringent inspection than they did. :)
 22 lbs. of loveliness!
The first thing you notice is the big, wrapped parcel marked "surprise", and it will remain a surprise for now.  These are the new collections to be released at Spring Market and cannot be shown until then.
There was a stack of foundation colours,
 ...and a group of F.Q. for a Galentine's Day project which, with the box's late arrival, has already passed.  No worries, I have a project in mind which will be perfect for these.
 After snapping the first few photos, I wondered if I should stop and wait for better light.  6 am, on a winter day in Nova Scotia, isn't exactly the best time to take photographs, and I had all the lights on plus my flash.  The thought went through my head that a little sun would be nice, and then I reached in and pulled out this bundle.  Too funny!!  Morning Sunshine, indeed.
 It's a beautiful bundle of fabrics in happy, sunny colours. This collection is in stores now. I love it!
At this point, the Customs inspector was getting cheeky about letting me take anything more out of what was now her box.  She's pretty territorial. I had to proceed carefully, because...well, she bites. I had to get a bag of kitty treats out as distraction.
Island Batik also print rayon batiks, and they sent this beautiful scarf and 2 yards of a to-die-for peacock blue. The scarf looks purple in this picture, but it's really a rich dark burgundy.  I have sewn lots with rayon in the past and look forward to making something from this.  It drapes and washes beautifully.
 Here's a stack of "Paisley Dot", in earth tones, as well as coordinating yardage.

 These rolls are called "Stash Builders" and they are 5" x WOF rolls which contain a variety of colours.
 Here they are on the side;  lots of useful yardage here.
We all know how I feel about Aurifil thread :)  I ♥ Aurifil...and I am thrilled that they are an IB sponsor.  They sent a 5,900m cone of 50 weight white, as well as 6 large spools of colours to coordinate with the fabrics in the box.  The green spools are 40 weight, and the orange spools are 50 weight.  I am very pleased to receive some brochures, as I sell Aurifil thread and these will come in very handy with all the information they contain.
You may also have spotted some batting in the box, supplied by Hobbs Bonded Fibres. I am certainly no stranger to Hobbs batting, and have used them for years.  My two favourites are in the "Tuscany" line, the 100% wool, and the 100% silk - both are sheer delight to work with.  Polly especially enjoys curling up to nap on the wool batting scraps. We can purchase these locally at Mrs Pugsley's Emporium.  I am happy they sent along a sample card of their products.
They also sent a cotton batt, and "Thermore", which I have not yet tried.  I suspect it will be wonderful in placemats and table toppers as it is quite thin.
It was a veritable perfect storm of a box, with three heavy-hitters in the quilting industry contributing their products.  I can't wait to get sewing.  Not Polly though;  she was so wired from all of this excitement that she needed a nap.  (or a sedative...)
Thank you, Island Batik, Hobbs, and Aurifil, for this wonderful opportunity.


14 comments:

  1. Polly has good taste....good fabric & quilting supplies is far better than catnip. Beautiful fabrics and yummy supplies. I look forward to seeing what you create with it. I'm sure all your projects will be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of goodies, it will be a fun year creating projects with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polly certainly knows when she is onto a really good thing, the box, the batting, and some threads to play havoc with. What a treasure trove, I know we will be seeing some wonderful projects when you start with these batik beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'Morning Sunshine' is so pretty. Looking forward to your future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous fabrics......love that lime green, and 'Morning Sunshine' is luscious.....that's all too much for you, Karen, you could share it with your far-flung friend. I'll take what I like, and you and Polly can have what's left.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, great products. I know you are going to love working with Island Batik.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of quilty goodness! Some amazing colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun fabrics! I really like the Morning Sunshine - will have to watch for that at my local shop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your fabrics. If I do not get those yellows in my box, I have to buy some from The US later. Can't wait to see what you're sewing with these beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and Polly had a lot of fun. Boxes that have been through Montreal seem to get a second inspection at my house, too. I wonder if it might be the scent of poutine?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That's one fabulous box of goodies! Better than Christmas I'd say! What fun you will have "playing". I hope Polly has calmed down..... better than a catnip high, eh Polly?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That morning sunshine bundle is gorgeous! I can't wait to see what you create with all the goodies. BTW, where in Nova Scotia are you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your box and the wonderful, timely Sunshine and the Dots. Too much goodness - we will have fun being ambassadors!

    ReplyDelete