Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday 28 February 2013

Red Cross Quilts

My grandparents, with Gram's fan quilt.  Photo courtesy of Canadian Heritage Quilting
When I watched this clip, I couldn't help but think that my grandmother, Myrtle Patterson Davis of Five Islands would have stitched on some of these quilts.  My Gram was both an expert needlewoman and a member of the Canadian Red Cross and I know she helped make quilts for soldiers. http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2013-02-21/canadian-quilts-for-blitz-families/
Over 24,000 quilts from little Nova Scotia - wow.

3 comments:

  1. I have been lucky enough to see some of these quilts when a selection was brought to our quilt group (in the UK).

    What is astonishing is the large number donated and yet how few have so far been documented.

    Thank you for sharing this on your Blog.



    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen. I hope you don't mind but I'd like to post a link to your blog and also to the video. It's a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete