Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday 5 February 2013

Easy Lettering

MS Word is such a time saver when it comes to lettering.  In the olden days, the process involved a trip to the print shop to enlarge the font and then tracing it backwards against the window onto the fusible web.  Now I simply go into Word, select a font and manually type the size I want in the box. The drop down menu for the font size usually goes up as high as 72 but just ignore that and type in a larger number if you require larger print.  Circled below you will see that I am using Harrington font in 175 point.  My large format printer takes sheets 11 x 17, so choosing a landscape orientation with narrow margins yields pretty much the exact size I want for my 20-1/4" antependiums.   After typing my word, I click the arrow to the right of the blue A to give the menu for text effects.  Choosing "outline" gives hollow letters, thus saving ink.
When I am ready to print, I click on "printer properties" and under the advanced setting I can choose to print my letters in mirror image.  This means I can trace directly onto the paper side of my fusible web and not have my letters come out reversed. I iron this web to the wrong side of my fabric, cut out the letters and fuse them in place on my fabric.
Simple!
  

5 comments:

  1. I love that red fabric. It is such a great shade of red, so hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a glorious red! The pieced quilt in the right hand corner is interesting too......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew you could just type in any old number! What a great tip. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great info Karen. Thanks We all want to save steps whenever possible. The red is luscious

    ReplyDelete