Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday 11 April 2012

WYSIWYG

In computer lingo WYSIWYG is an acronym for "what you see is what you get"... however my computer experience tells me that what you see is definitely not always what you get. Yesterday I was set to begin sewing the Plume fabrics I bought awhile back. I drew this palm block on a 60 degree grid.
When I printed out a sketch of the block it looked like this:

Hmmm...I was never good at those spatial orientation things in math class where you are given a flat drawing and asked what shape it would form when assembled. Naturally, I doubted myself and figured the computer was correct in what it had printed. Still...I hesitated to cut into my beautiful fabrics just in case so I printed it again. Same thing. I decided to rotate the block 45 degrees on the screen, to give the block you see on the top below. (the block on the bottom is the orientation I want to piece).

When I printed the block turned this way, it came out correct for my purpose...albeit wrong on the screen.
I am really glad my brain kicked in before I did irreparable damage to this gorgeous fabric. I have big plans for it. I am piecing the block using templates and my sample turned out great.
Always good to apply the carpenter's rule of measure twice and cut once (or in this case, think twice and cut once.)

2 comments:

  1. You make the final product look so easy, but it's so darn complicated to figure it out. I have a hard time with the spacial aspect too.. I can't wait to see how nice it's going to be when it's done.

    ReplyDelete