Sew Karen-ly Created...

If you have arrived here via a link (such as to a tutorial) click on "Sew Karen-ly Created" to return to the latest blog post. I invite you to my website to see a gallery of quilts and patterns available for purchase.
Comments are always appreciated, simply click the word "comments" at the end of each post to leave your message. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday 14 February 2009

Bird Treats

I've been spending so much time lately making suet balls for the birds that my 12-grain breakfast cereal this morning looked suspiciously like birdseed! I told hubby this only confirms that I eat like a bird :)
This week I tried a new recipe, found in the pages of Birds and Blooms magazine, which the feathered folk in the backyard seem to be enjoying. I varied the recipe somewhat, and will give you my version if you'd like to try it. Starlings, Northern Flickers, Black-Capped Chickadees and both Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers give this two thumbs up (well...figuratively speaking. They don't really have thumbs...)
Tropical Bird Treat
1 cup lard
1 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)
2-1/2 cups oats
2-1/2 cups cornmeal
1/3 cup coconut
Raisins, nuts (I used chopped peanuts), birdseed (optional)
Melt lard and peanut butter. Stir in other ingredients. When cool enough, shape into balls and roll in birdseed. Wrap in waxed paper and freeze. Cut a mesh onion bag into a circle, remove the waxed paper from the frozen ball and wrap ball in the mesh. Tie a string around the top of the bag for hanging. This made enough for 5 suet balls.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever used leftover suet? COuld it replace the lard in this recipe? Each year I have leftover suet after making my Christmas Pudding. I put it back in the freezer, then eventually throw it out. Just wondering if it would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Linda: Yes, Suet works great and the birds love it!

    ReplyDelete